|Pocket AMC Reader for Android 2.0beta available [31.5.2017]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 Next
couple of years ago I started to write new version of Pocket AMC Reader. It was designed specifically for Android 4 (which was very latest at the moment) and tablets. Two years have passed and I only have alpha version available. It is kinda usable (I use it on my phone), but far from being completed.
So I'm looking for contributors. If anyone is interested, you can find source code at https://github.com/elman22/pocket-amc-reader . It can be built and you can run it on your phone. Just make sure to uninstall old version first, because new version will not install over (it is not signed).
Meanwhile I published new build for anyone to try. Download apk file from https://github.com/elman22/pocket-amc-reader/releases . Be sure to uninstall old version before trying this one.
Here are couple of screenshots of how it's going to look like:
Pocket AMC Reader version 1.9.1 is now available.
This application will allow you to read catalogs created by Ant Movie Catalog on your Android phone. It will read XML catalog and import it into its own database which is done for performance reasons. On each start the application will check size of the XML file and when it changes, database is updated. Depending on size of your catalog and speed of your phone, it might take several minutes to import all movies and to start up.
- Android 1.6 or higher (Android 2.2 or higher is recommended)
- AMC database saved as XML
- AMC database saved with relative links to pictures (not necessary, but otherwise you won't see pictures)
- Application needs approximately twice as much disk space as is the size of XML file + additional space for thumbnails if used
Install the application via Google Play or download from links below.
Converting AMC to XML
If you keep your database in AMC format, you will have to export it to XML to be able to use this application. You can easily do that in 5 steps:
1. Open your AMC database in Ant Movie Catalog
2. Select File -> Save as...
3. Select type XML and click Save
4. When asked about pictures answer OK
5. Copy XML and all pictures to your Android device and start Pocket AMC Reader
Catalog - Pick your catalog from file browser. It might take a lot of time to display available catalogs in folders with plenty of files.
Catalog encoding - Select encoding on your PC to ensure correct import of special characters.
Font size - You can change size of default font. Increasing font also increases thumbnail size, so I recommend deleting thumbnail cache as well.
Show color tags - Color of the movie's title will be changed to assigned tag's color.
Fields in 1st line - You can choose fields to be displayed in first line in movie list.
Fields in 2nd line - You can choose fields to be displayed in second line in movie list.
Fields in 3rd line - You can choose fields to be displayed in third line in movie list.
Fields separator - If you select two or more fields in any of the lines, values will be separated by text entered here.
Show sorted field - If you sort your list by field which is not displayed, it will be shown in third line.
Show thumbnails - Show thumbnails for movies in all lists.
Default tab - Default tab to be displayed when movie detail is opened.
Show summary in basic tab
None - No summary is displayed in basic tab
First lines from description - First 4 lines from description are displayed in basic tab for quick view of the plot.
Precise match from description - If you use description field also for taglines, IMDb trivia or such extended information, this option will try to remove it and display plot only. Might not work as expected in some situations.
Multi field separator - Define separators in multi value fields (such as Country, Category, Actors, Producer, ...) to be able to filter exact values from details. If you use more separators (e.g. comma for Producer and slash for Category) you can input both as ",/" (without quotes).
Hide unused fields - Fields which have no value (e.g. empty fields) will not be displayed.
Open IMDb links - If you have IMDb links in your database then you can choose how to open them on your Android.
As is - Links are opened in your browser as they are saved.
Redirect to English mobile version - All saved links pointing to IMDb will be rewritten to IMDb's mobile version, e.g. www.imdb.com will become m.imdb.com. All language mutations will be redirected to English version as it is the only one with mobile version. Legacy links (e.g. imdb.com/Title?0265086) will not be rewritten.
In Android Application - If you have installed official IMDb application from Android Market, Pocket AMC Reader will use it to show additional info.
Force re-import - Re-import catalog when settings are closed.
Delete cache - Delete thumbnail cache when settings are closed. Cache is located at "/sdcard/Android/data/com.holdingscythe.pocketamcreader/thumbs/". It's recommended to use this option if changing font size. Cache will be automatically deleted when application is uninstalled if using Android 2.2 or higher. Otherwise delete it manually.
- Import crashes with some non standard characters. I'm not sure I can fix it since AMC doesn't produce well formed XML. However you can try to fix it with script mentioned in post http://forum.antp.be/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=33221#33221
- Tabs images are optimized for Android 2.0 and will not look good on Android 1.6
- Swiping in movie details doesn't work if performed on empty space below content (this feature is deprecated on Android 4.0 and higher)
- Performance with very large databases (XML is larger than 20 MB) is degraded, even leading to App Not Responding problem. This might be issue with Android itself, so I might not be able to fix. Please use filtering first
28.09.2013 Version 1.9.1
- FIXED FC on opening details on Android 2 and 3
28.09.2013 Version 1.9
- ADDED Support for new fields introduced by AMC 4.2
- ADDED Support for extras introduced by AMC 4.2. Only picture extras are supported. Extras are displayed in Pictures tab and details can be seen when tapping on a picture. Switch images by sideways sliding
- ADDED Small images are enlarged to fit screen
- ADDED Empty fields in details can be hidden (go to Settings to activate)
- ADDED Option to selectively remove list filters
- ADDED New font size especially for tablets
- ADDED Small improvements to increase speed of the app
- FIXED Pictures in subfolder not being displayed
- FIXED Scroll to the top of screen when switching movies
- FIXED Some bugs when rotating device
- REMOVED Multiple covers option. Use extras instead
21.04.2013 Version 1.8.4
- ADDED French translation (thanks to Xavier Muller)
03.03.2013 Version 1.8.3
- ADDED Date added field can be used in list, sorting and filtering
- ADDED Catalog can now be picked from any location, not just from a SD card
- CHANGED Slightly changed layouts
- FIXED Bug where user could filter on values in details even if they were empty
- FIXED Small bug with summary in basic tab
- FIXED Some other minor bugs
30.09.2012 Version 1.8.2
- CHANGED Optimized performance and memory usage with very large lists (4000+ movies)
08.09.2012 Version 1.8.1
- FIXED Problem when bringing app to front and search text was entered
- FIXED Problem when bringing app to front and using next / previous in details
- FIXED 2 problems when starting the app
- FIXED Some other small bugs
12.08.2012 Version 1.8
- ADDED Support for Android 4.0 and higher
- ADDED Font size can be changed
- ADDED File manager for selecting XML file
- ADDED Multivalue search (see Settings and web page for details)
- ADDED Preview of movie's description can be displayed in details
- ADDED Better support for devices with high resolution displays
- CHANGED Swiping in details is replaced with action bar in Android 4.0
- UPDATED German translation
- FIXED Bug with encoding of the catalog
- FIXED Couple of other minor bugs
28.04.2012 Version 1.7.1
- ADDED German translation (thanks to Klaus Oed)
17.04.2012 Version 1.7
- ADDED Support for Color Tag introduced by AMC 4.0
- ADDED Russian translation (thanks to migver)
- ADDED New permission to prevent phone from sleeping during import
- ADDED Visual indication that button "clear filters" was clicked
- ADDED Title URL is shown in different color
- CHANGED Some info and error messages to be more helpful
- FIXED Keyboard is now shown when adding filter value
- FIXED Small bug during import
05.11.2011 Version 1.6.1
- ADDED Original title and Translated title fields to list, sorting, filtering and details
- CHANGED Some tweaks with movies swiping in details
- FIXED Small issue with displaying fields separator in settings
23.10.2011 Version 1.6
- ADDED Swiping right to left and left to right in movie details goes to next / previous movie
- ADDED Customizable fields in movie lists
- ADDED Customizable values separator in movie list
- ADDED Switch to always show sorted field
- ADDED New filter - movies with no picture
- ADDED Automatic app restart or list refresh if needed
- CHANGED Reorganized settings
- FIXED Several minor bugs
06.08.2011 Version 1.5.1
- CHANGED Thumbnails loading order in movies list with some optimizations to make scrolling more fluent
- CHANGED Labels in sorting and IMDb options
- FIXED Error when clicking on IMDb link and IMDb app is not installed
- FIXED Occasional crashes regarding thumbnails when browsing movies list
- FIXED Incorrectly displayed import dialog when import file was not found
10.07.2011 Version 1.5
- ADDED Sorting by Rating, Label, Length, Year and Borrower
- ADDED Filter option to select all empty or not empty values
- ADDED Official IMDb application can be used to display additional info about movies
- ADDED Slightly increased font in movie list
- ADDED Application supports "Move to SD" feature. Not very useful though since only application itself is moved to SD (about 350 kB) and all data remains in main memory
- ADDED Rating to movie list
- ADDED Hints in Settings now show actual selected value
- ADDED If movie database is empty, user is redirected to Settings
- FIXED Pictures not being shown if backslash is used instead of slash in path to catalog setting
- FIXED Filter fields order
- FIXED Crashing and some dialogs during import
30.05.2011 Version 1.4.2
- ADDED Import performance tweaks. Import is now up to 25% faster
- ADDED Optimizations when creating thumbnails
- FIXED Bug with import dialog being shown when actual import is skipped
01.04.2011 Version 1.4.1
- FIXED Some crashes with thumbnails enabled
20.03.2011 Version 1.4
- ADDED Thumbnails in all movie lists. Thumbnails can be turned off in settings
- ADDED Correct screen rotation handling
- ADDED Support for PNG pictures
- ADDED Text filtering in lists
- FIXED Rotating screen in details view will always reset the view to first movie
- FIXED Rotating screen during import will crash the application
09.01.2011 Version 1.3.1
- ADDED More code pages (catalog encodings) to choose from
- FIXED Crashing with some non standard characters in catalog. However import is canceled, so catalog needs to be fixed manually in Ant Movie Catalog. Read error message for more information
31.12.2010 Version 1.3
- ADDED Filtering for movie lists which can be done either from menu by a wizard or from details view by clicking on underlined text
- ADDED Possibility to redirect IMDb links to English mobile version
- ADDED Information on how much movies have been imported so far during import
- ADDED Welcome info for users who have troubles setting up catalog
- ADDED Several indexes to database which result in faster list loading but somewhat slower import
- FIXED Sorting of movies is now case insensitive
- FIXED Correct new lines display on Android 1.6
- FIXED Better compatibility with Android 1.6
28.11.2010 Version 1.2
- FIXED Crash when audio rate was empty
- FIXED Displaying cached data if some fields were empty
- ADDED Fast scroll to lists
- CHANGED Some styles in movie list
08.11.2010 Version 1.1
- ADDED Sorting in movies list
- ADDED Movie number to movies list
- ADDED Next, previous and random movie menu in movie details
04.11.2010 Version 1.0
- Initial release
No access to Android Market?
Download installation package from http://forum.antp.be/users/elman/Pocket_AMC_Reader_v1.9.1.zip
Last edited by elman on 2017-05-31 21:03:43; edited 40 times in total
|Still waiting for my new Android phone so that I can test it on real device. Sure takes a lot longer than I expected...|
|Need !!! :-)
A port to Android would be very nice
|Hi. I have an Archos 70 - Archos is not a member of open handset alliance and cannot access the market place, would it be possible for the author to post the apk file here please?|
Sure. Added link to RapidShare in main post.
|I have a database of 2.000 films but it recognizes only 861. Do you know what can I do?|
I have the same problem than Vetusto. I have a database of 350 films but I can't see more than 198 films with Pocket AMC reader. I have all my films in the xml file.
I have an other problem : I can't see pictures.
I have try differents names for the pictures :
- 'name of film'.jpg
- 'name of database'_'number of film in database'.jpg
I have an ARCHOs 101 with android froyo 2.2
do you have any solution for those problems ?
|The Problem that only a part of the hole Database is shown seems to be that some films have special Charakters in their titel. For example ´ or '
After I renamed these titles in the xml-File, now the hole database is shown.
But I still have the problem, that no pictures are shown in the Mod.
|thank you for your reply, I find special characters in comments.
Import fail on those characters.
now I see all my films in the mod
For the pictures, maybe we must import pictures with specific resolution.
|Hi, Goog news,
When I made my last export, I didn't copy all images on my ARCHOS.
I copy all the files and now it's good I have all the images.
PS : I made an export from AMC with pictures
Hi, import loads movies step by step, so if 861 movies are imported, it means that there is something wrong with 862nd movie.
Is is possible to send me a sample of that movie? Or if you used script to import data, just give me name of the movie and I will try to fix it.
Hi, there are no special rules for image sizes or anything like that. You just have to copy XML and all images must be in the same directory structure as described in XML.
For example you have your XML located in /sdcard/amc/catalog.xml and this XML contains link to image Picture="Conan the Barbarian.jpg". Application loads XML, sets default folder to /sdcard/amc/ and looks for /sdcard/amc/Conan the Barbarian.jpg.
"Save as" option in Ant Movie Catalog will place all images in the same folder as XML. Just as described in example above.
To be honest I haven't tried linked pictures, so I really don't know whether they will work or not.
|New version available. Check it out.|
|New version available.|
|Thank you for new version. It's good to see developing apps for android.
I use Samsung Galaxy S, when i import xml file everything works, pictures seems fine. But after restarting phone or kill amc reader, i start app again and pics have gone. I have +2000 movies in catalog and i can't re-import everytime for it.
ps: xml files and pictures are in same folder, no problem at first import.
After restart, do you see stub image (the one with movie reel) instead of thumbnails? Do you see pictures in movie details page? Maybe you could try turning thumbnails off, then rotate screen (layout without thumbnails will be loaded), then turn thumbnails on and rotate screen again.
|I can only see stub image in movie list and movie picture page. After rotating screen nothing changes.|
Weird. It doesn't seem to be problem with thumbnails. It looks like app can't open images at all. Do you use sdcard for xml and images? Would you be willing to send me a sample of your catalog + some pictures to investigate further?
|All times are GMT + 1 Hour
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum